Play & Pray
- Sunday, April 17, 2016 at 3:00pm
- Pre-concert talk at 2:30pm
- St. Stephen’s Anglican Church, 1121 14 Avenue SW: Google map
- Guest musicians: John van Leeuwen on recorder and Joan Kent on viola da gamba
- Join us as we take a journey to the Italian Renaissance – the time and place which birthed some of the world’s most sublime sacred music, and that also witnessed the blossoming of Carnevale, the annual joy-filled and excess-laden carnival which cartwheeled through the beginning of each calendar year in Renaissance Italy. The first half (sacred – the ‘Pray’ part), will feature music by Palestrina, Scheidt, de Victoria and Ola Gjeilo who is a 21st century composer who reworks the Renaissance themes. The second half (secular – the ‘Play’ part), will develop the theme of Carnevale, which started in Italy and then spread throughout the world. It is a huge celebration, lasting many days, and culminating in Martedi Grasso (or Mardi Gras), the day before Lent begins on Ash Wednesday. (OK, so we’re a little late, but we had to get it all rehearsed!) This concert will be more along the style of the early Calgary Renaissance Singers concerts, with much merriment, some theatre, madrigal-singing and minstrels. With something for everyone, this is a concert not to be missed!
- Tickets: $20 Regular / $15 Senior/Student / Under 18 Free