HEAR YE! HEAR YE!
Some CRSP members will be Wandering Minstrels at Medieval Day in Cochrane on Satuday July 23rd!
From 10 AM – 4 PM, the Cochrane Pulbic Library is putting on this wonderful free festival featuring jousting, knights performing sword practice, food trucks, petting zoo, costume contest, demos, and the Calgary Renaissance Singers & Players performing as wandering minstrels.
Merry times to be had for all!
CRSP is performing once more this Spring!
The ProArts Society hosts free noon hour concerts each Wednesday at the beautiful and acoustically amazing Cathedral Church of the Redeemer. We have the pleasure of performing once more selections from our Spring repertoire which features sublime Italian Renaissance sacred music and hugely entertaining Carnevale music:
Wednesday, May 25th 2016, 12:00 – 1:00 PM
Cathedral Church of the Redeemer – 604 1st Street SE (located on 7th Avenue across from Olympic Plaza, right along the LRT line).
This is one of Calgary’s oldest cathedrals and the acoustics are wonderfully suited to choir music. You can eat your lunch and spend a little time in Renaissance Italy!
CLICK HERE FOR MORE DETAILS!
Did you miss our latest concert on April 17th? Well – we are are going to put on the same show this upcoming Saturday, May7th!
As part of a special fundraiser to help re-build the Bragg Creek Community Centre (which got water damage and needs major repairs), we will perform the same repertoire.
* Saturday, May 7th
* 2:30 PM – pre-concert talk
* 3:00 to 5:00 PM – concert
* The Redwood House, #1 Manyhorses Drive, Redwood Meadows (very close to Bragg Creek off of Highway 22)
* Pay what you can (recommended $15 regular, $10 seniors/students, under 18 free)
* Tickets available at the Bragg Creek Centre – 403 949 4277 ext 2, email@example.com
Come on out to beautiful Bragg Creek/Redwood Meadows, enjoy being close to the mountains, and see our entertaining concert!
This is going to be a fabulous concert not to be missed! Along with the usual stunning singing, there will also be:
- A Bell solo and other percussion performed by Brent Van Dusen, one of our singers
- Instrumental music with Recorder, Crumhorn and Viola da gamba featuring guest artists John van Leeuwen and Joan Kent
- Mask and costume parade a la Carnevale style narrated by Rachel Ewert
- CRSP dance troupe led by Lauretta Carrick
- Juggling performed by the talented Jeffrey Olynek
- The ever popular informative pre-concert talk
Here is an idea of what you’ll hear:
- Palestrina Sicut Cervus
- Palestrina Stabat Mater Dolorosa
- Victoria O Vos Omnes
- Gjeilo Agnus Dei: Phoenix
- Scheidt Surrexit Christus Hodie
- Lasso Matona Mia Cara
- Banchieri Mascherata d’Amanti
- Donato Chi La Gagliarda
- Lasso Tutto Lo Di
- Banchieri Vinata di Brindesi, e Ragioni
- Banchieri Capriciata a Tre Voci
- Banchieri Contraponto Bestiale Alla Mente
See our Play & Pray concert announcement for more concert details and tickets.
We hope to see you there!
Play & Pray
- Sunday, April 17, 2016 at 3:00pm
- Pre-concert talk at 2:30pm
- St. Stephen’s Anglican Church, 1121 14 Avenue SW: Google map
- Guest musicians: John van Leeuwen on recorder and Joan Kent on viola da gamba
- Join us as we take a journey to the Italian Renaissance – the time and place which birthed some of the world’s most sublime sacred music, and that also witnessed the blossoming of Carnevale, the annual joy-filled and excess-laden carnival which cartwheeled through the beginning of each calendar year in Renaissance Italy. The first half (sacred – the ‘Pray’ part), will feature music by Palestrina, Scheidt, de Victoria and Ola Gjeilo who is a 21st century composer who reworks the Renaissance themes. The second half (secular – the ‘Play’ part), will develop the theme of Carnevale, which started in Italy and then spread throughout the world. It is a huge celebration, lasting many days, and culminating in Martedi Grasso (or Mardi Gras), the day before Lent begins on Ash Wednesday. (OK, so we’re a little late, but we had to get it all rehearsed!) This concert will be more along the style of the early Calgary Renaissance Singers concerts, with much merriment, some theatre, madrigal-singing and minstrels. With something for everyone, this is a concert not to be missed!
- Tickets: $20 Regular / $15 Senior/Student / Under 18 Free
Audience Letter from the Artistic Director