Calgary Renaissance Singers and Players are pleased to present our upcoming concert:
Byrd & Birds
- Saturday, December 5, 2015 at 7:30pm
- Pre-concert talk at 7PM
- St. Stephen’s Anglican Church, 1121 14 Avenue SW: Google map
- Guest musician: Chellan Hoffman, pipe organ
- A Christmas concert with a focus on the music of William Byrd, as well as early and modern music about birds, including the ever-popular “A Musicological Journey Through The Twelve Days Of Christmas.”
- Tickets: $20 Regular / $15 Senior/Student / Under 18 Free
Artistic Director’s letter, with concert details: AudienceLetter_Xmas2015
Poster PDF: CRSP-2015-Dec-Web.pdf
Poster image source: E-codices on Flickr. Fribourg/Freiburg, Bibliothèque cantonale et universitaire / Kantons – und Universitätsbibliothek, Ms. L 90, p. 39r https://www.flickr.com/photos/e-codices/7706954682/
This year on Saturday October 17th, eight members of the Calgary Renaissance Singers and Players once again participated in the Run For Music event, a fundraiser organized by the Alberta Choral Federation (ACF). This year our team was called “Byrd’s Flock.”
Thanks to our sponsors, we raised over $1380.00, a portion of which goes into our choir’s own funds, the other portion to the ACF.
Here are some of the experiences of the team that walked or ran:
- Jeb Gaudet: “A great day for a great cause! I loved the informational tidbits along the way about the benefits of choral singing”
- Ruby, age 10: “Thank goodness for the water stop! It was hard work but it was worth it for the pancakes”
- Lisa Hurrle: “It was a gorgeous day – so great to see everyone enjoying the park and each other”
- Liz: “I participated in this years Run for Music because it was a great opportunity to work with my own choir team mates raising funds for our choir while supporting choral singing in Alberta! This event was a lot of fun and as always North Glenmore Park was spectacular!”
- Marcia: The walk/run (our team walked, at paces ranging from brisk to leisurely) happened in lovely weather, and provided us with a chance to catch up with conversations about life events, politics, plans, exercise, food – and of course music. It was good to have that opportunity for social time while helping the CRSP budget.
- Marlin: “Music and all forms of creative expression are key components to healthy living. Therefore, choosing to support this particular event through active participation was an easy decision. Getting out in the early morning, breathing fresh air and visiting with great people in a scenic environment was simply an added bonus.”
The Calgary Renaissance Singers & Players is one of the live musical groups that is currently scheduled to perform at Equinox Vigil, Saturday, September 19, 2015, 6:30 to 9:30 PM at the Union Cemetery near the Stampede grounds (28 Avenue & Spiller Road SE). This is a multidisciplinary arts event that explores the idea of death.
As explained by the Equinox Vigil’s website, it is “A free, family-friendly event to honour the deceased in creative and meaningful ways:
- Art Installations & Shrines
- Live Music
- Video & Film Projections
- The Union Choir
- Digital Shrine
- Memorial Craft-Making
- Hosted Tea Garden
- Poetry & History
- Lantern Processions
Opening Ceremony 6:30 pm at the Threshold
Lantern Processions at 8 pm & 9 pm
More information: http://www.equinoxvigil.ca/about/
Concert dates for the Calgary Renaissance Singers & Players this upcoming season:
- Concert #1 = “Byrd & Birds,” Saturday, December 5, 2015 at 7:30pm at St. Stephen’s Anglican Church, 1121 14 Avenue SW:
- Concert #2 = Sunday, April 17, 2016 at 3:00pm at St. Stephen’s Anglican Church (note the Sunday date, and the afternoon 3pm concert time!)
This message and the 2015-2016 Season page will be updated with more details as they become available.
At the beginning of this fall 2015 season, The Calgary Renaissance Singers and Players are looking for an additional Bass singer and an Alto singer.
We are also happy to hear sopranos and tenors if they are willing to be part of a waiting list should they have successful auditions.
Auditions are currently scheduled for the evening of Wednesday, September 2, 2015.
If you’d like to audition, please contact the Artistic Director, Jane Perry to schedule your audition: firstname.lastname@example.org
Find out more about singing with us at our Auditions page: http://www.renaissance-singers.com/contact/auditions/